Follow my blog!

Sunday, July 26, 2009

My review of Love Finds You in Liberty, Indiana by Melanie Dobson


About the book:

In a divided town during a dangerous era, who can be trusted? Liberty, Indiana, is home to a stop on the Underground Railroad operated by Anna Brent and her father, covert abolitionists who harbor runaway slaves traveling toward freedom. The Brents must be very careful; anyone caught aiding runaways is subject to imprisonment under the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850. So when Anna begins to write columns denouncing slavery in the local newspaper, she must adopt a pen name. Even the newspapers editor, Daniel Stanton, does not know the authors true identity. Daniel takes a risk publishing the columns. His job, his newspaper, and his very life might be in danger. When Anna's work on the Underground Railroad is threatened, can she turn to Daniel, a man she barely knows, to ensure the safety of the slaves so dear to her? Will she and Daniel be willing to risk everything for their beliefs including their personal liberty?

My review:

Melanie Dobson is a diverse and talented author. It's crazy, but I love every book she's written that is on the market. Every single one. Love Finds you in Liberty, Indiana is no exception. It's interesting, compelling, emotional and gripping. I didn't want to do anything except read this book. I finished it a few days ago but didn't have time to post a review until now. The characters are strong and yet realistic. The attraction makes sense and goes deeper than just a pretty face. The element of danger will leave you a bit breathless. Every time those slave hunters showed up I swear I held my breath! And not only is the story compelling, but it was well-researched.

I would highly recommend this to parents who homeschool their teens. The story is clean and wouldn't make your grandma blush, but it's also jam packed with content that will teach youth to have greater compassion on people in less fortunate situations. It also teaches the value in self-sacrifice and loving God and people enough to sacrifice your own freedom so that others may benefit and experience it as well. I even learned about about the Fugitive Slave Act and how much it negatively affected everyone at the time. It reminded me so much of the Holocaust. And in reality, it was America's Holocaust. The reader can easily see how this issue propelled the country into the Civil War.

Bottom line, this was an awesome story and I totally loved it. While not edgy, it was top notch writing and compelling enough to keep me reading. I cared about the characters...every last one of them.

Love Finds you in Liberty, Indiana was published by Summerside Press and released in June 2009.

1 comment:

LuAnn said...

My daughter gave me this book, but I haven't read it yet. I'm glad to see you enjoyed it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share