Follow my blog!

Sunday, December 23, 2007

My review of - I'm Fine with God... It's Christians I Can't Stand: Getting Past the Religious Garbage and Finding True Faith.



About the book:

Have you heard this complaint from your unsaved friends? It can be difficult to share Christ when He hasn't been represented well. With humor and insight, authors Bruce Bickel and Stan Jantz take a look at some believers' behavior. Learn how to reach past the misconceptions and bad examples of a few to find authentic Christian faith. Enable yourself to communicate with non-Christians in a relevant, honest way.

My review:

In case you are wondering by the description above...I don't see this as a handbook for how to save your non-Christian friends. If you want a how-to book, this isn't it. I do see this as a book that will make you examine your heart and attitude regarding your own faith and as a result you will be more understanding of where people are coming from who can't stand Christians.

The authors have pretty hilarious comments. Want to get a belly laugh out of your teenager? I did when I read him several things out loud. The authors drive their points home with humor, and what they share is often profound. This isn't fluff reading. Like the nose on your face, the truth was always there, but you may not have noticed it before. I agreed with about 90% of their comments. The other ten percent I was more neutral on or maybe not quite as sure I felt the same way, but if you glean anything from this book that will change the way you see yourself and the world around you, then you will be glad you checked it out.

My favorite chapter was I'm Fine With God... but I can't stand Christians Who are Convinced God Wants Them Rich. I detest the "name it and claim it health and wealth false gospel" and charlatans who rob the poor and the widows through their lies and con games. So I got a real chuckle out of the witty sarcasm the authors used to drive their point home. For example:

If you give to Billy Bob's television ministry you'll receive... A swatch of fabric packaged as a Holy Spirit Prayer Cloth--actual pieces of the beach towel used by John the Baptist during his baptismal ministry on the shore of the Sea of Galilee.

Now that's obviously an over-exaggeration, but I found it hilarious. The other examples are even funnier. But the bottom line is the authors illustrate in every chapter why the hang-ups and weird beliefs in the modern Christian culture (often committed by people who haven't a clue) are a barriers to reaching the lost. The insight they share is amazing. And if you enjoy satire and sarcasm, you'll want to get this book.

I'm Fine with God...It's Christians I Can't Stand
is published by Harvest House and will be released in January 2008.

2 comments:

Susan Stitch said...

I'm so glad you reviewed this...I wasn't sure what to expect. I think it's a good one for our church library, but I'll read it first. I didn't expect it to be funny -- what a great benefit!

Susan

PatriciaW said...

I hadn't heard of this one but I'll definitely be on the lookout for it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share