Follow my blog!

Saturday, May 15, 2010

My review of No Other by Shawna K. Williams! Awesome story!

No Other No Other by Shawna K. Williams


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This debut novel by author Shawna Williams took my breath away. It sounds cliche, but I don't know how else to describe the emotions that moved through me as I read this book. My heart was engaged and fully invested in the outcome.

I read most of this book in one sitting. It's a perfect historical romance in that the tension kept building and it made me want them to work things out and find a way to be together. I fell in love with the characters and empathized with their situations. I also felt firmly grounded in the time period.

The author's use of dialog was masterful. I could hear the characters speaking and their inner thoughts and dialog were consistent with that era. My favorite scene was toward the end when Jakob tries to do the right thing. The emotion was intense and so realistic I nearly cried myself. That's great writing because I felt something.

I loved how true to life this story seemed and it was edgy enough to make me want to cheer Shawna on. This story felt real to me because the characters were complex and three dimentional. There were a few shifts in plot that were delightful as well. I love it when the author does something you aren't expecting. Nice job! I can't wait for the next book. This is making my "favorites" list for fiction for this year - 2010.

View all my reviews >>

4 comments:

Shawna K. Williams said...

Woohoo! I mean...WOOHOO!!!!

Julia M. Reffner said...

Great review! I can't wait to read this one!

Anonymous said...

this sounds like my kind of book!! Percy

Esther Miriam Lopez said...

I read the first chapter and can't wait to read the book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share