Follow my blog!

Saturday, July 18, 2009

My review of Me, Just Different by Stephanie Morrill

Me, Just Different (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt)


About the book:

Welcome to the world of Skylar Hoyt, a high school senior whose exotic Hawaiian looks have propelled her to the height of the "in" crowd, but who's no longer sure that's where she really fits. New friends, old friends, a reluctant romance, and a family crisis swirl around Skylar as she tries to keep it together and figure out who she really wants to be.

My review:

Me, Just Different was well-written, insightful, and impossible to put down. It's the real deal in that it's an authentic representation of some serious issues. I zipped right through it. There was one point in the story where I cried real tears. That, for me, is a great sign that I cared about the characters. I was so into the story world that I felt something strong enough to be sad over. But it wasn't a depressing sad. It was a healing sad. Sometimes when your life is falling apart, that's when you know who your real friends are. And I loved that in this story the hero doesn't give up but continues to be honest with Skylar. Sure, she hates it at first, but doesn't every woman really want to know the truth from someone you think is an enemy rather than being lied to and wounded by a so-called "friend?" I also adored the subplot involving her sister, Allie.

This was a high-quality story which rang true to me. Don't many of us fear turning out like our parents when we are young? How about dating someone because you loved the idea of being with him and that all of the other girls wished they could be with him, and yet he wanted you. Wasn't that a heady, powerful feeling? What about avoiding a decent guy because he wasn't considered "cool enough" to be acceptable to your friends? Even worse than that, what about the stupid rule that says you can't date your friends' ex-boyfriends (I had a friend who did that when I was in high school. She'd tell me not to let my current boyfriend use me, so I'd be careful and then she would do the ultimate betrayal and have sex with him when I wasn't looking! At least I was smart enough not to "go there" but still... I know now that she wasn't a true friend, but at the time it felt good to hang out with someone beautiful like her.) But I digress...

Bottom line, this book is awesome and hits on all of the important things that teens often deal with. However, I didn't feel like I had to be a teen to read it. You just have to remember feeling that way and most grown people remember their high school years. Sure, we'd like to forget a lot of the stuff we did. Like lying to our parents to sneak out of the house to see our boyfriends, for example. And going to parties and getting stupid drunk so that you put yourself in a vulnerable position with someone you may not even like. Anyway, I can't say enough good things about this book. It's a must-read as far as I'm concerned and it's making my best of 2009 fiction list.

Me, Just Different was published by Revell and released July 1st, 2009.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just read this last week. In one sitting. Loved, loved, loved it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share