Follow my blog!

Friday, April 03, 2009

My review of Stealing Bradford by Melody Carlson

Stealing Bradford (Carter House Girls, Book 2)

About the book:

The Carter House girls are just getting to know one another when the subject of boys comes up. Rhiannon's dating Bradford, the most popular jock in school, Eliza's seeing Harry, and even DJ has dated Conner, although now he acts as if he doesn't like her. Boys aren't always easy to understand, but every girl in the house wants a boyfriend, and will do just about anything to get one. So when Taylor decides to put the moves on Bradford, Rhiannon is shocked and hurt. Mistakes are made and feelings battered...there is forgiveness for some and bitterness for others...but at the end of the day, the girls learn a valuable lesson about what it means to be a family.

My review:

Stealing Bradford was an easy read like the first book in the series. I'm not sure I enjoyed it as much, though. I appreciated how the issues with Connor and DJ were worked through, but since this is part of a series it's still unresolved at the end, which is okay, but I don't like too many loose ends. There was a big loose end that is sort of dealt with because you see the first chapter for the next book at the end of this one, but that's the only reason. Without that you'd be left hanging.

It seems like the characters are becoming more three dimensional as the series progresses, which is good. I like how gradually the deepening issues with Taylor are emerging and being peeled away like layers from an onion. It's great how the author shows that when you attempt to get to know people who you don't like, you will often see that their pain drives them to act the way they do. That's definitely the best part of this story. The scenario with Taylor at the school reminded me of A Walk to Remember's conflict, almost as if it had been taken from that story. And last, I don't know why I kept seeing Taylor as a blonde in my mind's eye, then to find out she has a totally different parentage kind of threw me. Maybe I just missed that in the first book.

Stealing Bradford was published by Zondervan and was released in 2008.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share