Follow my blog!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My review of Talking to the Dead by Bonnie Grove.



About the book:

Young widow Kate Davis can't move on---because her husband, Kevin, keeps talking to her! Group therapy is her last attempt to find sanity, and there she meets Pastor Jack---who quiets her mind. But when she stumbles upon a secret Kevin was hiding, he begins to shout at her. Will his voice ever stop?

My review:

Bonnie Grove's debut novel Talking to the Dead is a page turner in the truest sense of the word. You'll forget to eat while you are reading this story! No joke! I read this book in two sittings. It was absolutely amazing. Talking to the Dead is making my best of 2009 fiction list for sure. The writing was so well done I'd never guess it was a debut novel. I loved how the author didn't hold back on any of the issues that the character Kate was dealing with. Plus, the ending made me smile and emit a satisfied sigh. I've read some other books dealing with pain and grief and none of them come close to being as good as this one. It almost reads like a suspense in that you find out a little bit more and a little bit more as the story moves along.

More than once I found myself saying, "No way!" Yet it was totally believable. The way her mind dealt with the trauma, like when she watched that short video clip over and over was SO well done. I felt like I was Kate and I hurt right along with her. At the same time I rejoiced with her when things started turning around. The dialog was also done amazing as well. The honesty of the spiritual journey and the character's inner voice was fabulous. And for people who don't know much about mental health issues, I loved how accurate and true-to-life the story was. Clearly the author did her research in many areas. I can't say enough great things about this debut novel. If you don't buy any other books this year, get this one!

Talking to the Dead was published by David C. Cook publications and will be released at the end of May 2009.

1 comment:

Mimi N said...

Michelle, great review! Sounds terrific. I know a girlfriend who will love reading it as well! Can't wait to read this debut novel!

~Mimi B

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share