Follow my blog!

Saturday, December 27, 2008

My review of Mixed Bags by Melody Carlson



About the book:

After DJ's mom died, she had to move in with her grandmother, Katherine Carter, a retired internationally famous '60s fashion model. Now Mrs. Carter has decided to open a boarding home for girls, and DJ who would rather wear her team jersey than Gucci and Prada thinks that these girls will all be intolerable fashion snobs. One by one, the girls arrive and begin to figure out how to fit into this new lifestyle, and forming friendships. Sure, there's an aspiring prima donna or two, but before long, the Carter House girls are dating, fighting, laughing, shopping, and sharing...their deepest secrets. DJ may not turn into the young woman her grandmother intended her to be, but one thing's for sure with all these new "sisters," her life will never be the same!

My review:

This story was pretty good for YA fiction. If I could imagine being in a boarding house with a bunch of different girls it might look something like this story, even though the girls in this book are rich, or at least half of them are. I enjoyed reading about Conner and DJ's developing relationship and about DJ's innocence when it came to dating. I thought the author did a good job showing how difficult it is to understand what guys are interested in. Girls always think it's about beauty but with Conner he wanted a girl he could relate to. It's got a great message about the pressures of fitting in and provides a good platform for expressing different struggles teens deal with. The polaroid picture being taken at the hairdresser was a bit outdated, though. I don't know anyone who even has a polaroid camera these days. I ordered the next three books in the series because I am very interested in reading more about Conner and DJ and finding out who gets the guy in Stealing Bradford. Of course, I'm rooting for Rhiannon. So far I like this series.

Mixed Bags was published by Zondervan and released in May 2008.

1 comment:

squiresj said...

Boy if Google Blog would ever load the first time, it would take a miracle. Then they just deleted what I was typing.
I have to copy so many times before it will submit it.
I own a Poloraid Camera. We bought it for my Father-in-law years ago. It still works and I use it every now and then with my Royal Rangers when I want an instant picture for a craft they are making.
I know Melody Carlson's work and I believe she needs another review of this book. I am a reviewer and also have teenage neices who would enjoy this book I am sure.
Every book of hers I have read, I have truly enjoyed.
God Bless.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share