Follow my blog!

Saturday, December 20, 2008

My review of Beloved Captive by Kathleen Y'Barbo



About the book:

In this sequel to Beloved Castaway, Emilie Gayarre is learning to accept her mixed race heritage while finding fulfillment in teaching children of the key. There is no denying the attraction between Emilie and the handsome young naval commander, Caleb Spencer, who is shadowed by his own flock of secrets. But if her heritage is found out, even greater things than his career are at risk.

My review:

It took me quite a while to finish Beloved Captive. Unlike Beloved Castaway, this story had some slow spots and less action. It started out strong and even made me cringe in a few places, but I always like it when characters are stuck in situations they can't control. I just never got the same sense of peril in this story as I did in the first book. I enjoyed seeing some of the same characters from the previous book, but it did drag a bit, and the ending seemed kind of choppy to me. There was also less romance than in the first book. However, I loved the part where they were both on that island and when the hero named her Miss Crusoe and when he kissed her. I also loved how the author had a twist from what you'd expect every now and then. But one of the key plot points seemed like it was resolved as an afterthought, so that was a bit of a disappointment. Overall, it was a decent read. I hate to compare books, but it is part of a series, so it's hard not to do that. I do look forward to the third book in the series.

Beloved Captive was published by Barbour and released in November 2008.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share