Follow my blog!

Saturday, November 22, 2008

My review of Choices by Katrina L. Burchett



About the book:

Choices is a thought-provoking story about five teenage girls in the city of York, Pennsylvania and how the issue of teen sex affects each of their lives..... Shauntice Johnston has faith in God but the world of domestic abuse she lives in has left her with very little faith in the male gender. And then comes Terry, and her obedience to God's Word (flee fornication) is tested. Angel Nichols doesn't know her earthly father, doesn't care about the heavenly Father and feels neglected by her workaholic mother. She has had numerous sex partners since she was thirteen, trying to fill the void inside of her. LaKeeta Wilson is a Christian, but instead of doing it God's way and waiting for marriage she purposefully became pregnant out of wedlock. Bridgette Anderson practices abstinence in obedience to God, and, no matter what, she will not compromise her beliefs. But this saint still has her flaws. Hope Patterson is a plain dressing, soft-spoken timid Christian girl who lives a sheltered life because of her strict mother. Rebellion puts her in a dangerous situation.

My review:

This was an intense book. The writing style was not the best as there was a lot of head hopping in the story, but the characters were well done and believably flawed. The story was fast paced and intense. At times the detail was almost too much, but I think that is what made the story so rich. This author tells it like it is and without reservation. I love that. I also think this book will really help some teens, so it was well worth my time to read it. If there hadn't been so much head hopping I would've rated it higher because I loved the story itself. I would definitely read another book by this author.

*** note that this book includes sexual situations that are written in detail, so for those who aren't okay with that type of edgy fiction, I'm just letting you know before you read it. However, this story is also very Christian in regards to use of Scripture and the message.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share