Follow my blog!

Monday, November 01, 2021

My review of Unholy Ground (Saints and Sinners, book 3) by Dayo Benson


About the book:

Saints and Sinners is a reality TV show like none other...

Chloe:

What happens when you take a sheltered Christian girl and lock her in a house with a random mix of self-professing sinners?


Especially when one of those sinners is Colby Carter, a man whose soulful brown eyes have tripped me up before.

The whole aim of the show is to turn good girls bad and make nice boys nasty. But I'm determined to stand strong and do Christians everywhere proud. Any kind of failure will not only get me evicted but will lock me in a personal prison of shame.

That cannot happen.

Colby:

They think I'm just a dirty sinner. They don't know I'm simply trying to survive.


Saints and Sinners is supposed to be my ticket to freedom. But the danger I'm trying to escape follows me into the competition.

It seems I'll never get free.

I never used to care so much about freedom, or cleaning up my life. But now I have an incentive. She has an electric smile and a penchant for inserting 'Jesus' into every other sentence.

But my enemies are close.

Maybe, for me, freedom will only ever be an illusion.

My review:

This story had a very unique premise. I wasn't sure the author could pull it off, but she did. And it didn't come across as cheesy. I can't help but like Chloe. She's all sweet and innocence to the point where sometimes you want to shake her a bit as she is always worried about pleasing other people. Her mother and nana are very bad for her worldview in my opinion and they are not directing her the way her life should go. So when she enters the show Saints and Sinners I thought... hmmm. It was a creative way to get Colby back in her world. Some of what Colby did was despicable and made him unlikable but then you feel for him again every time he softens and allows himself to hope that he can change. His backstory is tragic and he has a lot of guilt so he hides behind his tough guy persona. But God can see past all that and shine light into the dark corners of his heart. But like true Dayo Benson style, people are stubborn and are not easy to convert. That's my kind of book. I still have hope for Colby and haven't given up on him just like God never gives up on us. 

Some of the times that Chloe shared her heart on the set really shed some light on the fact that while it would make no logical sense that God would want someone on a reality show like Saints and Sinners, God wants to reach everyone and use anyone who is willing to get the message out there. Chloe was a willing vessel and being on the show put her in a position of influence that she would never have had in any other setting. She was able to reach some people who needed to hear the truth, that God never gives up on us and is waiting for people to look to Him for salvation and for acceptance. He loves the backslider and longs for their return to him just as much as he loves the person who turns to him for the first time. God never gives up on us. Beautiful story and it left me wanting more since it had a bit of a cliff-hanger ending. Good job, Dayo. I am still hooked. 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share