Follow my blog!

Sunday, September 14, 2014

My review of The White Princess by Philippa Gregory

About the book:

When Henry Tudor picks up the crown of England from the mud of Bosworth field, he knows he must marry the princess of the enemy house—Elizabeth of York—to unify a country divided by war for nearly two decades.

But his bride is still in love with his slain enemy, Richard III—and her mother and half of England dream of a missing heir, sent into the unknown by the White Queen. While the new monarchy can win power, it cannot win hearts in an England that plots for the triumphant return of the House of York.


Henry’s greatest fear is that somewhere a prince is waiting to invade and reclaim the throne. When a young man who would be king leads his army and invades England, Elizabeth has to choose between the new husband she is coming to love and the boy who claims to be her beloved lost brother: the rose of York come home at last.

My review:

I love Philippa Gregory's novels. So far every one that I've read has held my interest to the end. This one was a bit more challenging than others for some reason. It took me a lot longer to read than usual, despite the interruption in my life and routine that made reading anything challenging. I did identify with the heroine and loved how the story ended with the White Princess finally understanding what Queen Anne went through when she -- Elizabeth, the White Princess -- was the apple of King Richard's eye. I liked how it tied to the other book, Lady of the Rivers, which I found very hard to put down.

The element of the missing York princes and the legend of what may have happened to them - which no one knows for sure - mingled with curse Elizabeth made with her mother on whoever killed prince Richard, became a subtle, yet integral part of this novel. I loved that element of intrigue. Also, the fear and trepidation that Elizabeth's husband went through as long as the people of England wanted to replace him with a York Prince made this story tie into others I've read as well. I felt for Elizabeth and hurt for her being forced into a loveless marriage with a king who essentially raped her in the beginning. There was no love in their marriage, and if she had been anyone other than a York princess, the fate of being matched with the usurper, pretender Tudor King would not have taken place.

All in all, this was a good story about what it may have looked like during the time when the Tudor's feared that their throne would be taken over by a York. The ending left me feeling a bit sad, and I agree that the guilt felt by the king was well-deserved. The coolest part is that the next segment of the story follows history. Arthur marries Kathryn of Aragon and dies, thus she is remarried to Henry, who becomes the famous Henry VIII, who is well known for his many wives and lack of a legitimate male heir, resulting in the Virgin Queen.

I would recommend this book for history lovers and for people who enjoy books that tie together, even if they are released out of order.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share