Follow my blog!

Friday, May 10, 2013

My review of Phoenix Takes Flight by Michelle Stevens


About the book:

Before the world of Facebook, Chat Rooms and Blogs, there were online communities called Bulletin Boards…

Beth Lynn is falling in love with The Keeper, also known as Scott Reiner. But he is about to reveal something that will tear the new couple apart. Forced on her own again, Beth is determined to make the most of her life. In the process, she encounters new friends and makes a discovery that changes everything.

* The second part of Beth’s journey expands her horizons. From romance to spiritual awakening, she will never be the same. The Phoenix Series chronicles the love story of Beth and Scott, two computer BBSers who meet in the 1980's. Obstacles lie ahead for the young couple and a tragic event stands at the end that will deeply impact Beth’s life.

For you see, she is a Phoenix ~ her future requires the flame.

My review:

I absolutely loved this book. Over 80% of it was read to me by my Kindle Fire HD, but I had no trouble understanding it because it was in the first person POV and there was only one character to track while listening. Anyway, I bought this book to find out more about Scott and to see what happened. I was not disappointed. Things just really took off and now I'm feeling bummed that the next book isn't out yet. I loved how the author wrote life like she saw it for this character and wasn't worried about being PC when it came to conversations and actions. These characters acted like real people would.

I love the setting because I was young in the 1980s and when computers first came out. I remember the chat rooms and going dancing with friends. Some people might take issue with them drinking champagne a few times, but they never got drunk so it didn't bother me. Beth, AKA Phoenix did get drunk in the first book, but she wasn't a believer and her boyfriend made her drink too much. I liked this book better even though the first book sets the foundation for her past, which helps you understand the second book. I found this story compelling and very interesting. The faith elements became a pleasant surprise I hadn't seen coming. I am definitely going to buy the third book.

One last thing... This book was published by the author via Amazon and is a great example of what stories can be like when written from the heart without all of the editing that often removes the heart and soul of the story.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share