Follow my blog!

Thursday, April 19, 2012

My review of By the Light of the Silvery Moon by Tricia Goyer

About the book:

Remember the Titanic 100 years after its doomed voyage with Tricia Goyer’s fictional portrayal of one woman’s journey. To Amelia Gladstone, this ship means promise of seeing family again. To Quentin Walpole, the Titanic represents a new start in America…if he can get onboard. All seems lost until Amelia offers him a ticket, securing his passage—and bringing him face-to-face with his railroad tycoon father and older brother, Damian. As Amelia works to reconcile father and son, she finds herself the object of both brothers’ affection. Can she choose between two brothers? Or will she lose everything to the icy waters of the Atlantic?

My review:

I rarely buy books, but saw this in a Barnes and Noble while on vacation two days after the 100th anniversary of the Titanic's sinking, so I picked it up. I read the prologue and was immediately drawn in by the tragic opening and decided I must read the rest of the book. I have a fascination with the Titanic's sinking and that whole tragedy anyway, so I couldn't resist the urge and ended up buying it. I'm so glad I did. I read the book in two days and enjoyed it very much.

There were so many things to like about this story. The author did a great job with setting and making me feel like I was there on the ship. Amelia was compassionate and a very likable heroine. The brothers were both endearing in their own ways. I felt pity for the father and his pain from not knowing the well-being of his youngest son. I loved how the author had written a parallel story similar to the prodigal son from the New Testament. Some of the dialog was even the same. That part of this book was particularly moving and brought tears to my eyes. Which one of us hasn't felt worthy of someone's love and forgiveness at some point in our pasts? The emotion of the characters as they dealt with repentance and forgiveness was very touching as was the way Amelia ministered to Quinton's spiritual needs.

The thing that intrigued me most about this story was not knowing which brother was going to come out as the survivor in the end. Not only that, but I was anxious about who was going to live and who was going to die other than the well-known passengers like John Jacob Astor. The description of the passengers' trauma following the sinking was well done. I can't imagine the survivor's guilt many of them must have felt. Each brother had special traits that the heroine loved, but she had to choose who would hold her heart in the end. At times I even fluctuated on who I thought that should be. This was a heartwarming story with a very satisfying ending. The romantic elements tugged on my heart strings as well. Highly recommended.

By the Light of the Silvery Moon was published by Barbour Books and released in March 2012.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share