Follow my blog!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

My review of Surrender the Heart by Marylu Tyndall.

Surrender the Heart (Surrender to Destiny)

About the book:


For the sake of her ailing mother, Marianne Denton becomes engaged to Noah Brennin---a merchantman she despises. But as the War of 1812 escalates, Jonah's ship is captured by the British, and the ill-matched couple learns vital information that could aid America's cause. As they battle to save their country, will they also find love?

My review:


Surrender the Heart was yet another high seas adventure with all of the classic Tyndall luxuries that I have come to enjoy since I discovered her writing several years ago. I love it when authors are consistent with their voice and their approach to historical fiction. I know I will always enjoy Tyndall's books as a result. She always includes accurate historical information and a setting that really grounds you in the time and place. I've had enough salt water and sea foam sprayed on me in this novel to remind me that I was indeed on a ship for the majority of the novel, minus the sea sickness.

Both the hero and heroine were likable even though they didn't start out that way. I slowly fell in love with Noah along with Marianne. He was swoon-worthy and heroic, and just the way I like my heroes. They are usually willing to sacrifice anything for the woman they love, and even more willing to forgive and look past the heroine's mistakes. The romantic tension between Marianne and Noah kept building, and those kisses they finally shared were tender and passionate enough to make me smile. I loved how the first kiss was set up because it was easy to see why the heroine believed the hero's affection was not because of his genuine feelings for her, but more because of the situation he was in.

The pacing in the beginning of this novel was a bit slow at first, which was why I started this novel a year ago and set it aside, but then picked it up again. I am glad I did. While not my favorite novel by Tyndall, this story was still enjoyable and one I would recommend.

Surrender the Heart was published by Barbour and released in August 2010.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this review. I just recently found out about Mary's books. I read Surrender the Night, and now have Surrender the Heart to read. Can't wait to read it!
Blessings.....Joy
ibjoy1953{at]yahoo[dot]com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share