Follow my blog!

Saturday, October 23, 2010

My review of Courting Constance by Teryl Cartwright.

4/5 star rating overall, and 2/4 hearts - "a weak pulse" for healing... but the cool thing is that this secular romance even has a spiritual pulse at all!

Courting Constance

About the book:

If marriage was an occupation, Constance was determined to enjoy her search for employment. Men, after all, made it easy to fall in love. Sadly, though, they also made it just as difficult to stay in love.

Constance was not going to settle for an ordinary life as a wife. She just had to convince a certain someone as well as herself that a wedding could be the beginning of some adventures instead of the end of them.

My review:

For a book not labeled as a Christian romance, this regency novel was pretty sweet and even Christian sounding. The heroine reflects on the Bible and even has a change of heart that strengthens her faith. I wasn't expecting that. And for a romance it was more funny than romancy because of some of the crazy things that Constance did. While this book could be read as a stand alone, I got the impression their was a previous story when I was about halfway through this book. That didn't hurt the story at all. I just thought I'd mention it.

As far as entertainment value goes, I read this book quickly. There were a few places where the spiritual journey seemed to pop out of nowhere, like the inciting incident that should take place prior to the reaction was delayed or missing. But it was a minor issue. Overall I found this story delightful and amusing. The antics made the story cute. I particularly loved the mix up at the end and Constance's scheme involving a gun. I won't say what it was (or it would spoil the fun for the reader) but I will say it was hilarious! In fact, that was probably my favorite part of the book. I also enjoyed all of the crazy bantering and small talk that people did when socializing in those days. If you like a clean romance with witty banter and funny incidents, you will enjoy this Regency.

Courting Constance was published by Vintage Romance Publishing and was released in July 2010. The author sent me the book to review. I was not compensated in any way for my opinion.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share