Follow my blog!

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My review of Worth a Thousand Words by Stacy Hawkins Adams

About the book:

Life has always gone Indigo Burns's way. She's smart, pretty, and talented, and she knows exactly what she wants. A photography internship at her hometown's local newspaper is the next step in her well-laid plans for her future. But her long-term goals are put to the test when her boyfriend Brian proposes--two years before he's supposed to and in front of all the guests at her college graduation party. Too concerned about his feelings to say no, she heartily agrees, but inside she's cringing....


My review:

Ms. Adams has an amazing ability to make the reader see a variety of perspectives without straying from Biblical truths. She doesn't always wrap things up in a tidy manner. I love that. I also love that every book Ms. Adams writes gets me thinking about people I know or situations I am familiar with and may even be struggling with myself. Her stories are solid and emotionally deep without being manipulative of the reader's feelings. They confront important decisions that young people need to make and challenge the reader to look at all angles.

I loved how this story dealt with the reasons why couples say yes to marriage when they should stop and evaluate where they are in life first. All angles are explored. I also love how the motivations of the heart come in to play here. Does real love give up something it wants for the betterment of the other person? What does that look like? Does healing mean that everything works out the way you want it to? Should you tell personal things that might hurt someone else when it's not your place to tell? How important is prayer in deciding when to speak and when to hold your tongue? What is most important to God in each situation? Should we allow ourselves to be defeated by doubt? What is the best way to make a decisions? What does God have to say on the subject?

All of those above questions come in to play in this story. Slowly (and throughout this story) my heart really connected with the characters and the lessons they learned. The conflict is believable and the drama is there but doesn't feel forced. Best of all, I enjoyed that this story was not predictable in any way. Each new issue that emerged surprised me. That's great plotting! I loved this story and the truths tucked within its pages. I highly recommend it.

Worth a Thousand Words was published by Revell and released July 1, 2009.

1 comment:

Carmen said...

From you review, this is a real intense book, but one that needs to be read. So many questions to come to play within the novel. I love a book with great spiritual truths tucked away in it. It's a novel that entertains AND makes you really think. Thanks for your input. I honestly think I find your reviews to be the most inclusive. Thank you so much.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share