Follow my blog!

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Where are readers buying books, and are they keeping them?

Featured in a recent issue of Publisher's Weekly, here is a list (based on percentages) of where books are bought. The Publisher's Weekly piece broke this down into micro-segments, but we're going to look at two possible buying options: in store vs. online:

Age group: 13-17
46.3% bought in store
16.3 % bought online
Percentage keeping the book after it's been read: 64.6%

Age group: 18-28
27.2 % bought in store
Percentage keeping the book after it's been read: 70.9%

Age group: 29-40
29.9% bought in store
25.7% bought online
Percentage keeping the book after it's been read: 74.0%

Age group: 41-59
23.3% bought in store
21.9% bought online
Percentage keeping the book after it's been read: 58.9%

Age group: 60 and up
16.9% bought in store
14.2% bought online
Percentage keeping the book after it's been read: 39.5%

2 comments:

Veronica Leigh said...

For the most part I go to the library. But if I really like a book, then I go to amazon.com to the buy "used and new" section. Unless the book is out in stores and I can't wait the extra month or two, then I go to the bookstore (BooksAMillion or the local Christian bookstore.)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I always buy online - I'm in the 29 - 40 category :). The online figure is missing for the up to 29 category though, I wonder what it is?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share