Follow my blog!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Now I'm giving away A Passion Most Pure by Julie Lessman!

To enter to win all you have to do is post a comment. Just make sure to leave me a way to contact you if you win. Best wishes! Oh, and this is the featured book for the ACFW book club in February so if you belong to the club this is a great way to get a free copy!


Book Description:

Refusing to settle for anything less than a romantic relationship that pleases God, Faith O'Connor steels her heart against her desire for the roguish Collin McGuire. But when Collin tries to win her sister Charity's hand, Faith is not sure she can handle the jealousy she feels. To further complicate matters, Faith finds herself the object of Collin's affections, even as he is courting her sister. The Great War is raging overseas, and a smaller war is brewing in the O'Connor household.

My review:

This is moving to the top of my list of favorite books of all time. It's packed with romantic tension, and emotional and spiritual passion. It made me crazy. I wasn't sure what I wanted them to do and my feelings were all over the place. I did enjoy the ending, though, as it was very satisfying and I cried through the last three chapters or so. Don't read ahead if you get this book. It'll spoil the joy and wonder of the story for you. I was tempted to do that several times (which I never do) because I so desperately wanted to know who Faith ended up with, but I was good and I'm glad I didn't peek.

What an emotional roller coaster ride! I got whiplash from the plot twists and the changing of the tides. My heart soared and plummeted along with Faith. I could not stop reading this book and hauled it with me everywhere. It's long (like 480 pages) but I wouldn't cut a thing. Everything is relevant and important to the story. I'll admit that I was extremely curious about this book after reading an article that said it was overly sensual. I disagree. Just because you are in her head and her thoughts are honest doesn't make it sensual. A lot of author's can write about kissing but most aren't daring enough to write the honest thoughts in a heroine's head. That's what this author did that was so fabulous. If she took out the internal thoughts she would remove the alleged sensuality, but then the passion is squeezed from the story and it would be a dry scene with description, but no life. I loved this story. It's daringly innovative and the most fabulous debut I've ever read. Plus, the historical portion of the novel was well done, too. I felt like I was there!

One last thought...I see this as a clearly Christian novel in that the emphasis is that having passion for God is what makes a marriage a beautiful, solid, and holy union and anything less than that is robbing you of the joy you could experience if you loved within the boundaries God set. It's a very strong message but done naturally and through the story. It feels real. I knew men like Collin who were insanely jealous of a woman's relationship with God and how they said they felt like they were competing with Him. Without the love of Christ in our hearts we are truly deprived of the most intimate love their is. This story delivers that message with such perfection I want every woman who has not married yet to read this book! It would save a lot of heartache if women trusted God in regards to their marriage partner. He wants marriage to be an example of his love for us and that cannot exist in a marriage without Him at the center.

Before you judge this book you need to read it for yourself. Initially I struggled with the number of POVs but once I got into the story I see how important that was for the author to include so many. Bravo!

A Passion Most Pure is published by Revell/Baker Publishing and was released in January 2008.

27 comments:

Carolynn said...

I know how much you like this book so I'm really looking forward to reading it, since all the books you recommend are great!
Please enter me in the drawing, thanks!
carolynnwald at hotmail dot com

windycindy said...

Hello Michelle! I think I could really get into this book Please put
my name in the hat. Many thanks,Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Ausjenny said...

Oh please enter me. I really want to read this book and it wont be in australia till sometime in march
ausjenny at gmail dot com

Cherie J said...

I am a member of ACFW and voted for this book in the poll so you know I want to read it. I think it sounds awesome.

cherierjatyahoo.com

Anonymous said...

This sounds great! Please enter me also.

danelli04@hotmail.com

Amy said...

Don't enter me in the drawing, but I LOVE this book!

Bebemiqui said...

Count me in!

bebemiqui82 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Pamela J said...

I've been looking forward to reading this book since the first time I heard about it. Imagine how excited I was when it won the book read for discussion in the ACFW book club group. I am looking forward to reading it first, then being front and center in the discussions the last half of the month, as well as chatting with Julie that Monday night following discussions. Please enter my name in the drawing. Thanks.
Pam
cepjwms at yahoo dot com

Donna said...

Okay Michelle, maybe I can really win this book. I have followed the discussion on why this book is considered "edgy" and I look forward to reading the book.

Tarasview said...

yes please!

danandmarsh said...

I would like to win this interesting sounding book!

Vicki H said...

This book sounds wonderful! I would like to enter the drawing for this novel. Thank you!

vicki.hale@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

first l want to say that windycindy is the cutest name ever! lf you liked this book so will l! as soon as l am stich free l will read again! Percy

DeAnna Julie Dodson said...

I've heard great things about this book, and I'd love to have a copy.

Put me in the drawing! :D


DeAnna Julie Dodson

PatriciaW said...

Count me in, Michelle. I was overlooking this book but today I read yours and another review, both of which gave a little more insight into what makes this book special. Looking forward to reading it.

Hannah said...

i have heard great things about this book! i'd love to win a copy especially since i live near boston! hsmuda[at]gmail[dot]com

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful book. I'd love to win.

Mimi N said...

Michelle, I'm glad you warned us not to look ahead! I am definitely in that group. If I get too "stressed" about the plot, I just have to cheat! hahaha Of course, that ruins the book so I won't look at the end! Please enter me.

Mimi
mnjesusfreak@gmail.com

Dorothy said...

I have been waiting and waiting for this book to be given away. I would really like to be entered in this give-away. Thank you.
Cachemeersqueen[at]aol[dot]com

Anonymous said...

would love to read this for the book club, please enter me, thanks!

Anonymous said...

I don't usually read historicals but this sounds good. Please enter me. Thanks, Gloria
jdanderson@comcast.net

Sherri said...

Please enter me in the drawing. I would love to read this book after seeing your review. Thanks!
hbarnette@va.metrocast.net

Debbie said...

Please enter me in your drawing. I am so excited to have found your site and look forward to checking it out more and more as I love to write and read. GOD bless

djdeb

djdeb@a-znet.com

Anonymous said...

I blogged your contest in this post:

http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com/2008/01/wednesday-edition-of-contests-galore_23.html

Donald James Parker said...

Sign me up for this drawing. This looks like an awesome book.
Donald James Parker

Edgy Inspirational Author said...

And the winner is...

danandmarsh!

Birdie said...

My sister in law & I would love a copy to share!!
onegoodmama at gmail dot com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share