Follow my blog!

Monday, September 03, 2007

My review of Sunrise by Karen Kingsbury...


From the Publisher:

In preparation for their long-awaited wedding day, Dayne and Katy are determined to keep the ceremony a secret from the paparazzi. Their relationship grows closer and stronger as they plan together, but in the end it takes the help of the Baxter family and many of the CKT kids so that they'll even have a chance at a private wedding. John Baxter is thrilled that his oldest son will be settling down a few miles away, but he isn't sure how any of his kids will handle a situation he can no longer run from...the feelings he is having for his friend Elaine. In the meantime, the Flanigan family is struggling with their young boarder, Cody Coleman, Jim Flanigan's star receiver. After an alcohol overdose, Cody fights for his life. Only God's grace and a miracle can bring him back from the brink of death...physically and spiritually.

My review:

I enjoyed Sunrise immensely, probably because I became familiar with Dayne and Katy in Kingsbury's book Fame. While Kingsbury does a great job slipping in the back story a little bit at a time, sometimes it's just not as good as reading it for yourself. I loved Fame and I loved Sunrise. (Nothing like going straight to the wedding.) Actually, there were four books after Fame that led up to this point, so if you like soap opera drama in the sense that every book makes you crave the next "episode" then you'll love Sunrise as a prelude to the exciting things yet to come.

The wedding scene was also the most beautiful and romantic that I've ever read. You can't help but love Dayne and Katy and want great things to happen in their lives. Especially after getting a feel for all that they went through even without reading the previous books. Their love is rich and deep and based on the foundation of Jesus Christ. Kingsbury is unabashedly Christian in that respect. She always emphasizes the importance of salvation in the lives of her characters. I love that. The subplot regarding the perils of drinking and driving was well done as was the budding romance between the senior Baxter, John, and his long-time friend, Elaine.

Kingsbury is also the queen of secondary characters and subplots. Just like in the soaps, there are always several stories going at once. Of course that makes me crave the next book in the series--which I thankfully have--so I can immediately continue on. Kingsbury writes fast enough to make it possible to go from one story to the next. I've probably done myself a disservice by not reading everything in order. I plan to jump back to read Forgiven (which comes after Fame) and I still need to read Redemption, which was the book that started the last two series. But no matter which way you slice it, each series containing the Baxter family is addicting. I'm glad to be getting my next fix.

Sunrise was published by Tyndale and released in May 2007.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hoplessly romantic... l like it! Percy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share