Follow my blog!

Saturday, August 05, 2006

My review of Seeing in the Dark by Gary Kinnaman and Richard Jacobs, MD.

By far the best resource book on depression I've read to date, Seeing in the Dark is the ultimate tool for treating the depressed Christian, which according to the authors - one a pastor and the other a doctor - is NOT an oxymoron.

I loved the message in this book, plus it's very reader friendly. By that I mean you don't have to have a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology to understand it (though in my case, I have that degree.) Too many times I've heard people trying to explain depression away, and like Job's friends, the help offered only makes the person feel worse because it's often NOT helpful.

At any rate, Seeing in the Dark touches on the physical, emotional and spiritual aspects of depression in a powerful and honest way. Both authors have first-hand experience with depression. One has the diagnosis and the other is married to a woman who has the diagnosis. They skillfully address myths about depression as well as revealing ways to treat the illness, and how to identify whether or not you have it. Clinical depression is also distinguished from normal depression via grief, sadness, loss, etc. The differences are made very clear in this book.

It's also small and concise so as not to overwhelm the reader with the facts. Personal examples are disbursed throughout to hold the reader's attention. I highly recommend Seeing in the Dark for people who want a better understanding of this pervasive and non-discriminating illness that rains on the just as well as the unjust. I normally dislike non-fiction but found this book very encouraging. Seeing in the Dark was released August 1, 2006 by Bethany House Publishers.

1 comment:

Margo Carmichael said...

Hi, Michelle, this looks interesting. I took Christian counseling classes in a church college in Tucson. I think it's fascinating. Another book by two people living with a problem is _Honey, Are You Listening?_ by Rick Fowler, a psychologist with ADD, and his patient wife. And I loved one of our textbooks, _Christian Counseling_. Besides enabling one to understand others, it certainly provides character ideas.

Thanks, I enjoyed the review.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share