Follow my blog!

Friday, August 02, 2013

My review of Replacing Gentry by Julie N. Ford

About the book:

When Marlie agrees to attend a cadaver ball at Vanderbilt Medical School, she did not expect to actually see any cadavers. Or, that a strange apparition would issue her a chilling message.

Despite the cadaver's warning, Marlie is married a year later to Tennessee State Senator, Daniel Cannon, and living in a plantation-style mansion with two step-sons. Add to the mix her growing suspicion that something is amiss with the death of Daniel’s first wife, Gentry, and newlywed Marlie is definitely in over her pretty Yankee head.

What begins as an innocent inquiry into her new husband’s clouded past ends with Marlie in the midst of a dangerous conspiracy.

A modern twist on the classic Gothic romance novels of Rebecca and Jane Eyre, Replacing Gentry follows Marlie’s precarious journey as she learns the truth about the man she married.

My review:

So far I've read two of Julie's books and I've enjoyed them both. This Gothic-style romance was completely different from her first book. I haven't ready anything quite like this book. The writing style was very good and the plot moved along at a brisk pace. The complexity and detail shown reflects the author's creativity. The setting with its Southern culture, graveyards, and creepy secret cult also gave the story an intelligent feel.

The creepy scenes and odd characters added to the story's appeal and the mysterious twists and turns in the plot held my attention. I loved the emotion, the tension, the intrigue, and the sizzling romantic elements. I also appreciated how there were several instances where I had no clue about what was going to happen next, and then the author tossed in a curve ball I never saw coming. There was nothing predictable or cliche about this novel. There was even a spiritual/faith thread in this book. And the ending was sweet with just the right amount of resolution to satisfy me as a reader.

Replacing Gentry was published by WiDo and released in April 2013.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share