Follow my blog!

Friday, August 12, 2011

My review of Sunset Bridge by Emilie Richards.

Sunset Bridge (Happiness Key)

About the book:

Former socialite Tracy Deloche has nothing to her name but five ramshackle beach cottages and the unlikely friendships she's formed with her tenants. Wanda, wise waitress turned popular pie-shop owner. Janya, the young Indian wife whose arranged marriage surprises her every day. Alice, a widow raising her complex tween-age granddaughter. And Maggie, Wanda's daughter, a former Miami cop with a love life as complicated as Tracy's own.

The new man in Tracy's life hasn't mentioned love or commitment—and Tracy has just discovered she's pregnant. Janya longs to be a mother—and suddenly has two young siblings in her care. Maggie helps out at Wanda's Wonderful Pies…but is the kitchen big enough for both Gray women? And Alice may lose her beloved granddaughter to someone no one expected….

As a tropical storm brews, the wind carries surprises and secrets over the bridge to Happiness Key. Now, more than ever, five friends will discover just how much they need one another.

My review:


I liked how this book picked up where the second book left off, but at the same time you could probably read it as a stand alone. I never read the first book in the series, but still enjoyed the second book. The author does a great job with characterization and has plenty of drama to keep the story moving forward. I was itching along with Tracy on the camping trip and was as stressed as she was when I thought about what being pregnant meant for her. I grieved with Janya as she struggled with infertility and then had two kids dropped in her lap almost literally. Maggie grew on me despite her hard-headed ways, and I loved Felo a bunch. She did a great job at making him sound heroic an sexy. I also enjoyed the tension between Tracy and Marsh, though I disagreed with how Tracy handled things most of the time. Then again I know a lot of people who act like Tracy so it works if you are going for realism. 


The drama picked up with each character. I didn't like some of the choices these women made, but I can see where they were coming from and how they operated out of fear. Not that it's right, but it made sense. There was even some mystery and suspense in this story, which was cool for a chick beach read type novel. All in all I enjoyed the story. The fact that the ending was satisfying on all counts and didn't leave me bummed out was a huge plus. Oh, and I read the entire 510 page ARC in three days, which isn't easy when you have a job. So when I wasn't working I was reading. But I finished it and it held my interest. These women felt like real people I could know. That gets big points from me because sometimes characters don't act true to life, but these characters did. 


Sunset Bridge is the third book in the Happiness Key series, was published by Mira Books, and released June 28, 2011. A copy of this book was provided to me by the publicist for review. The opinion expressed above is entirely my own.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share