Follow my blog!

Saturday, October 09, 2010

My review of Mr. Darcy's Obsession by Abigail Reynolds

Mr. Darcy's Obsession (Pride & Prejudice Continues)

About the book:

In this Pride and Prejudice variation, Elizabeth is called away before Darcy proposes for the first time and Darcy decides to find a more suitable wife. But when Darcy encounters Elizabeth living in London after the death of her father, he can't fight his desire to see and speak with her again...and again and again. But now that her circumstances have made her even more unsuitable, will Darcy be able to let go of all his long held pride to marry a woman who, though she is beneath his station, is the only woman capable of winning his heart?

My Review:

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this story. In fact, I found it difficult to put down. Unlike some of the official comments I read, this book wasn't steamy at all. It was very romantic and pulse-pounding, but in a very innocent way. The cover is gorgeous, but it makes Elizabeth Bennet look kind of seductive. I didn't get that sense at all from this story. I loved the way this story felt so true to the time period, and how different Mr. Darcy was from some of his relations. There were many surprises that occurred in this story, too, and they were delightfully executed. (Sheesh, that even sounds like I'd recently read an Austenesque-type book.)

I have to say that reading this book has given me a greater understanding of why many women find Mr. Darcy so heroic. If he was anything like this portrayal in the original story written by Jane Austen, it's no wonder women swoon when they hear his name. He was everything noble and good, but the way his character was developed was also believable. Her showed through his numerous actions that he wasn't a wretched cur like some of his other rich associations. I loved that he didn't give a whit about what his family said, but yet he always tried to do the right thing. Even agonized over his decisions at times.

Regarding the romantic elements in this story, there wasn't much lip contact at all. But what little kissing did occur was portrayed to make the reader a bit breathless. That was well done even though the kisses were brief. I'm not sure how the reader did that. I think it had to do with the tension and expectation the author used to set the scene. Very impressive. Last, I was pleased at how moral this story was for a book that is not Christian fiction. The undertones were clear that immoral behavior was never honorable and doing the right thing, though painful at times, what priority. Mr. Darcy was even a bit of a savior in one young woman's life.

At times, some of the description was a bit more detailed than you'd see in Christian fiction, but nothing was over the top or offensive, in my opinion. So if you love Austen-themed stories, you will no doubt enjoy this remix of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy's relationship. I know I did.

Mr. Darcy's Obsession was published by Sourcebooks and released in October 2010. Thank you Sourcebooks for providing me with a review copy of this book.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share
Blew me away