Follow my blog!

Monday, September 14, 2009

My review of The Frontiersman's Daughter by Laura Frantz

About the book:

Lovely but tough as nails, Lael Click is the daughter of a celebrated frontiersman. Haunted by her father's former captivity with the Shawnee Indians, as well as the secret sins of her family's past, Lael comes of age in the fragile Kentucky settlement her father founded. Though she faces the loss of a childhood love, a dangerous family feud, and the affection of a Shawnee warrior, Lael draws strength from the rugged land she calls home, and from Ma Horn, a distant relative who shows her the healing ways of herbs and roots found in the hills. But the arrival of an outlander doctor threatens her view of the world, God, and herself—and the power of grace and redemption.

My review:

The Frontiersman's Daughter was very engaging and I read it for five straight hours until I finished the book. I could not set this novel aside once I hit the middle of the book. It carried me through to the end. There were some slow spots and I thought it was a bit too long, but the story itself was fantastic! I particularly enjoyed the romantic elements.

There were some poignant and sad moments in this story where I was on the verge of tears as I read. This author knows how to write with passion, too, and I felt as breathless as the heroine did during the kissing scenes. They were awesome, especially the scene under the waterfall. Wow! I'd buy more books by this author for the romantic elements alone! At times I felt just as confused as Lael had in regards to which relationship to pursue. That's a sign of good writing.

While reading this book I felt as if I'd been pulled into a movie and I lived in Click county with the characters. There were some interesting cultural elements in this story as well as fabulous tension between characters. My heart ached more than once for Lael. I also nearly went crazy from the stress of knowing something that the main characters didn't know, and therefore they made poor choices based on misinformation. That always makes for great conflict. I highly recommend this book.

The Frontiersman's Daughter was published by Baker/Revell and released in Aug. 2009

4 comments:

Rel said...

I actually thought of you when I read this book, imagining you would love it! Great review :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great book. Thanks for the review!

TheAtticGirl said...

Hi Michelle, I just wanted to let you know I featured you on my blog today if you'd like to stop by and check it out.

http://atticgirl.blogspot.com/2009/09/tuesdays-tribute.html

Have a great week!

Laura Frantz said...

Hi Michelle,
I'll admit I was holding my breath about your review as you're not only an avid reader but a fine writer yourself:) I really, really enjoyed your insights and all the emotion you put into what made the book tick for you. I hope we meet up one day. In the meantime, please keep writing, reading, and reviewing! You bless me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share