Follow my blog!

Monday, September 08, 2008

Now I'm giving away The Queen of Sleepy Eye by Patti Hill

To win a copy of this book simply post a comment saying why you want to read it. I will pick a winner Wednesday night or Thursday at the latest. Please don't forget to leave me a way to reach you if you win.



About the book:

En route to college in the summer of 1975, sensible seventeen-year-old Amy gets stuck in smalltown Colorado when the 1958 Bonneville Sports Coupe driven by her insufferable tiara-toting mom, Francie--former Queen of the Sleepy Eye, Minnesota, Corn Festival--surrenders to a mortally wounded transmission.

It doesn't take long to realize that thirty-three year-old Francie is out of money and in no hurry to let go of her daughter, so the two unpack indefinitely. Amy finds work at a funeral home, a place her unlikely Christian faith can work itself out among the town's young and old, geeks and jocks, hippies and clergy alike.

Trying not to judge her mom's serial boyfriend's escapades, Amy ends up in a tragic love triangle herself which gives both mother and daughter the chance to do some real growing up. But in a surprise twist, their road to healing still has many miles to go in 2008 as they travel back to Sleepy Eye in that old '58 coupe.

My thoughts:


I've read the first two chapters so far. The story is told in the first person point of view. Amy's mother is a real fruit loop. Kind of reminds me of Forrest Gump's mother in the movie. Oy.

17 comments:

cpullum said...

I think this would be an excellent book for me to read and my daughter who is a Junior in High School to read!
cpullum(at)yahoo(dot)com

lilac grandma said...

I would like to read this for insight
into her job. My husband always wanted to be a funeral director!
msproule1225@gmail.com

Tarasview said...

I'd like to win this- it looks enjoyable.

apple blossom said...

the love triangle gets my attention to see who wins and who doesn't.

Robert Bartlett said...

We would like to win a copy of this book.

Thanks,
Rob

crimsonrob[at]gmail[dot]com

Pam said...

Enjoyed Patti Hill's other books so would probably like this one. The main thing is - I just like to read - so always welcome a new book.

SmilingSally said...

I'd like to be considered. Thank you.
smilingsal55(at)yahoo(dot)com

Anonymous said...

summer of 75, why l was a kid who lived across the street from a funeral home and always wanted to know what went on in there... Percy

Lindsey said...

I would love to read this and then pass it on to my teen sister-in-law. :-) Thanks for the giveaway!

Lindsey
ladyufshalott at yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great book. Never heard of the author. But would love to read the book.

MOMFOREVERANDEVER said...

LOOKS interesting, froot loop huh?

Chesh said...

I like a good book with great characters. This one sounds like it would do just that.

angelleslament @ gmail.com

Unknown said...

sounds like a good book with traveling, finding ones self, love and some drama thrown into the mix, my favorite topics :) It sounds like a fun book, thanks for entering me into the giveaway!

Lalycairn said...

LOL, from one fruit loop to another. . . Sounds like it would be a fun book to read, and pass on to my eldest daughter who also worked in a funeral home when she was a teenager.

Thinking About Compassion said...

Sounds like a good read on a cold day!

windycindy said...

The mother and daughter sound like quite the pair! Books like this one are enjoyable to read because I like to watch the happenings that create the transformation in the characters. Please enter me in your drawing. Many thanks, Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Edgy Inspirational Author said...

The winner is...

amandasue

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share