Follow my blog!

Thursday, March 06, 2008

My review of The Music of Home by Tamela Hancock Murray.



About the book:


Content with where life finds her, Drusie happily plans her future with Gladdie, her handsome fiance. Gladdie has a dream to own the store he works in, but money is hard to come by in Sunshine Holler, North Carolina. And then Gladdie's cousin, a successful record producer, hears Drusie sing and offers her the chance of a lifetime. Gladdie doesn't know what to think when Drusie and her sister head to the city to make a record and go on tour. Drusie says she's only doing this to help him buy that store. But what will happen when she hits the big time-and when other men start to appreciate his girl? Can their homespun romance survive a tangle with the glamour and excitement of city life and show business? Or will the underside of that business tear them apart?

My review:


The Music of Home
was fabulous. It's category romance but not the usual boy finds girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl again formula. You'll have to read it to see what I mean. It's now one of my favorite Heartsongs because it was so different. The kisses were yummy, too. The emotion and passion were there (Heartsong style, but still exciting) and they swept me away.

I felt immersed in the 1930s and the hillbilly culture of the mountain folk. The dialogue was so well done I was hearing the dialect in my head. The content was intriguing enough to keep me turning the pages even without all of the angst usually found in page-turning fiction. And the secondary characters were as well done as the main characters. When I read a book I want to be so caught up into the story that I don't hear what is going on around me. I want to be immersed in the world of the characters. In The Music of Home I experienced that sensation of living in another time and place and I loved it! It was the coolest non-conventional category romance I've in a very long time. Highly recommended.

The Music of Home was published by Heartsong Presents and released in July 2006.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share