Follow my blog!

Friday, March 30, 2007

My review of Momma Said There'd Be Days Like This: Refreshing Rest Stops for Moms on the Run... by Jenn Doucette


Book Description:

Mothers often feel they are running as fast as they can to keep up or to stay just ahead of those who want a piece of their time, energy, and self. Author, speaker, and mother Jenn Doucette offers a humorous and insightful look at how every mom on the run can head for much–needed rest stops by:

experiencing girl time
choosing contentment
setting boundaries and achieve freedom
getting a grip on emotions
giving themselves a break

With comedic flair, Doucette confesses to her own failings as well as God’s successes in the face of them, reminding mothers that it is healthy to laugh, take a break, and practice grace.

My review:

I really enjoyed this book. About 75% of the time I could swear the author was talking about my kids. Also, rather than sounding like the "expert" all the time, the author speaks more "mom to mom," which makes the book feel more like peer support to help busy moms cope, than a book written to make you feel like you could do more stuff to be a good mom. Is that refreshing, or what?

I liked how the author often used herself as an example and wasn't afraid to admit her flaws. It made her very approachable as a paperback mentor, and it made me want to keep reading the book. It is truly funny, witty, and downright silly at times. I have to say I also learned quite a bit from this book in addition to being encouraged. Her anecdotes will make you smile and her examples of her own flubbing up will make you want to keep on keeping one (while taking better care of yourself, of course.) I highly recommend this book for all moms whether they are at home full time or out in the paid workforce.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share