Follow my blog!

Monday, June 12, 2006

My review of Under Cover of Darkness by Elizabeth White



I've read several LI Suspense novels, but this is the first I've posted a review on because I think it's worth recommending. The others I never finished. I hate it when I get bored with a story, but it happens. Fortunately, this one doesn't put you to sleep. In fact, I enjoyed it very much. The La Migra and all of the Spanish sayings and Mexican culture are familiar to me as an Arizona resident.

I think the author did a bang-up job making me feel part of the setting enough where I could escape in my mind to the world she wrote about. The thugs were creepy and dangerous enough to keep me wondering how bad those bad guys really were. The coolest thing is I didn't figure it out right away. She had me surprised with the conclusion, and I like that. I also loved how she showed the conflict people have who live in border states in regards to helping illegals versus reporting them. The compassion in most Americans wants to help, yet their presence here is illegal and trafficking of illegals is a dangerous business. An entire truckload of illegals were literally strewn all over the highway after a chase a few years back. They were stacked on top of each other in the back of a pickup. Very sad.

I highly recommend this story as it's relevant to today's issues and well-written. The only thing I didn't care for was the lack of physical contact between the hero and heroine. It was more suspense than actual romance, IMHO. Under Cover of Darkness is published by Steeple Hill, Love Inspired Suspense line.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post

Bookmark and Share